Friday, May 13, 2011

Breaking News: Name that Yacht

Her name is SOPHIA. And, she is currently on the dock at L'Escale in Greenwich, just up the road from IHYC.

As this was an unexpected find, I only have reality pics. While I did push my trusty iPhone to the limit as the sun was setting, well, it has its limits. I even played humble admirer as much as I know that professional crew rarely have time to chit-chat and they certainly have a responsibility not to give anything away. Mr. and Mrs. Owner of SOPHIA - your crew was tight lipped.

All I got was that she was delivered from Maine via Newport. When I asked if she was built by a certain yard, I got a serious 'no'. We did learn that she is not new and that she has a faux painted titanium rig. How sweet is that?

So, she's a gorgeous 80ft+ Spirit of Tradition sailing beauty with a Sumurun-esque dog-house and a brightly finished hull. Her tender is also brightly finished. As I was delivering N'E to our mooring tonight, the tender - a Chris-Craft - was speeding up the channel somewhat faster than the 5-mph limit. Still, she was adorable. And, if they only knew that IHYC won the American Power Boat Association Championship four times since the early 20s, we might have had a nice conversation afterall.

p.s. - we've taken a few more daylight shots, but the boat stands as she is- gorgeous, although we are still perplexed about the American Chris-Craft tender for such an elegant sailboat. Someone's romantic choice?